Monday, November 24, 2008

Poorly Used Music In Advertising Part I

I am a big fan of Band of Horses. Their two albums, Everything All the Time and Cease to Begin, are great bits of post REM indie rock. Despite critical success and a few great appearances on Letterman, the only song that's mildly known is called "The Funeral."

Here are some of the lyrics:

I'm coming up only to hold you under
I'm coming up only to show you wrong
And to know you is hard and we wonder
To know you all wrong, we were

It's a sad song... at least that's what most people think. Except for the people who made this commercial for the Ford Edge where they use it.




I find it highly ironic that Ford in trying to be hip seems to have picked a song that encapsulates their current economic situation. While I am sure that most people who saw the ad have no idea who wrote the song, I still find it strange that in the age of internet where we can dissect anything that someone would make this suggestion.

1 comment:

Mark Brandau said...

You should totally develop a commercial for Northwestern to be played during Big Ten Network broadcasts, and set it to The Verve Pipe's "Freshman."