Saturday, March 28, 2009

Smarter Marketing for the Military? The US Marine Corp. Brooklyn Bridge Workout.

You can go ahead and call me what you will, but I have a problem with many of the marketing efforts that the US Armed Forces use to market the opportunities they give to our nation's men and women. Whether it's an ad featuring the Navy Seals in action and Godsmack blasting in the background or the "Army Experience Video Game," I am always left a little unnerved at how they trivialize the commitment our soldiers make. With many friends in service right now and one cousin in Iraq, I can't help but worry for their safety, and these ads do nothing to assuage my fear.

Today, while walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, I saw this.


A group of four or five Marines - some were wearing t-shirts that said US Marine Corp Workout - leading a workout on the bridge for a group of young men and women. At first, I felt that unease that usually comes from the marketing efforts of late, but that quickly faded when I realized that this was a slightly better introduction to the commitment our soldiers make. I cannot give this effort the full thumbs up, but it feels like it's a step in the right direction.

No comments: